Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Of deployments...

I received a question today via personal message on a forum and it struck me as something I need to address (and will be adding to the proper rulebook).  In short the question was:

How do I deploy my characters?

Seems simple enough, but I realize that while I had made a few scenarios, I hadn't addressed the building of your own scenarios.  While it is  mentioned as one of the first steps in the game, I didn't really flesh out what this means for the player.

Simply put: it's a sandbox, do what you want! 

Players are encouraged to create any kind of scenario they wish, including determining how/where to place characters at the beginning of said scenario.  I've included some common ones I use when I'm playing a quick pick-up game.

Classic wargame: Player A and Player B choose opposing table edges, and simply place their characters within 6" of their board edge (perhaps one at a time, alternating).  This is quick and easy, particularly if you just want a simple gunfight.

A fight breaks out: Often used in conjunction with other deployment methods, I enjoy setting up a large Old West town, assigning buildings a number and then deploying characters randomly via dice roll.  For instance, using a D8 and eight separate buildings.  This allows some opposing characters to end up in the same building. This is good for scenarios based around sudden confrontations or unplanned fights.

Raiders: In scenarios where one side is conducting a raid on the other, I enjoy using the following method:  Player A (the Raiding party) chooses a table edge in secret, noting it down.  Player B (the defender) then deploys all of his characters on the board.  As the game progresses, Player A moves his characters onto the table from his selected board edge, only revealing the board edge when his first character is drawn.  To add some disaster you can pick two table edges!

Beset on all sides: I frequently play scenarios where one side is on the board, deployed around the table and their opponent deploys a portion of his gang or posse on each table edge (say within 3" of the table edge).  This works best when the attacking gang/posse is split evenly into small groups.

Ambush: For raids on trains, cattle drives, or wagons.  Player A (defender) deploys in the center of the table, perhaps in a 12"x24" strip, representing a wagon procession etc.  Player B (attacker) deploys on two opposing edges of the table, attacking the wagon train in the middle etc.

As with many things in Shoot N' Skedaddle it is entirely up to the players how they wish to deploy and play the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment